There are more than 75 million blogs in existence today – and the number is growing steadily. Blogs are used by individuals, corporations, non-profits and small groups in order to proclaim their positions on different issues or to keep their customers informed. Blogs can be used to discuss a hobby or promote something you are passionate about.
If you are new to the blogging world, do not worry. Blogs are appealing because they do not require a great deal of skill or programming knowledge in order to start one. They are very user-friendly and you can have your blog up and running in a matter of minutes!
WordPress is a very popular blogging platform because it has so many options available for users. There are features that are available “right out of the box,” and there are numerous other features available by using plugins – these add new features for your blog when they are activated.
Creating a WordPress blog is very simple, and the WordPress site will actually walk you through the process. There are 2 options for having a WordPress blog, and creating a blog is different for each option.
WordPress.com is the free option for having a WordPress blog. You do not have to worry about hosting or anything else – all of that is taken care of. This is a great option so that you can get used to blogging and learn how the various WordPress tools work. (Please note that is you use this version, you are subject to the Terms of Service for WordPress.)
1. Choose a username.
2. Select and confirm your password.
3. Provide a valid email address so that you can receive your login details.
4. Agree to the Terms of Service.
5. Select if you only want a username or if you also want a blog.
That’s it! You are ready to blog!
The WordPress.org version is different. You will need to obtain hosting and to install WordPress.
1. Get hosting – WordPress makes several suggestions for hosting. For example, they suggest BlueHost, DreamHost, Media Temple, and Laughing Squid. They provide a link for you so that you can go directly to the hosting site and obtain hosting.
2. Install WordPress – this is done easily by using the famous five-minute installation that WordPress is known for! They even have a handy guide for you to follow. Very simple and it is designed to walk the complete novice through the process. Have trouble? You can post a question on their support forum and get an answer right away from helpful volunteers.
3. Consult the Codex page – this will answer any question you have – from design questions to questions about fighting comment spam – it is all there for you to access. They have dozens of links to helpful information so that you can find just what you need.
That is how to set up a WordPress blog. You are ready to begin blogging!