WordPress as your main content management system is a very popular choice. Started as just a simple blogging software, WordPress turned into one of the most powerful pieces of software for general use. Nowadays you see eCommerce, portfolio, business and even marketplace Sites running WordPress.
WordPress templates and in particular premium WordPress themes have become very popular, but most of the people are confused by the amount of themes available. To give you a little insight on what you should consider when buying a web-template, here are some tips you should consider before buying one.
1) Beside the fact that the theme should look appealing there are lots of things to watch out for. First of all, you should check if the code is search engine optimized. This means the author of the template should have used all the important tags for example (h1, h2, h3, strong, ..) in order to make sure that your on-page optimization is done correctly.
2) Another important thing is that the site is W3C validated. Although W3C validation has no impact on your search engine ranking, it is very important for business sites or any other site that is accessed by a broad range of users. If a site is W3C optimized you can be sure that the author of the homepage provides quality code and people with older computers can view it properly.
3) The theme panel of every WordPress theme is it’s backbone. Some authors use frameworks, but most of the developers create their own theme option panel. Most of the time there will be screenshots or even a demo page to see the panel in action. Make sure that all the features that you will need for your homepage are supported.
4) Always buy a template that supports the current WordPress version so that all the security updates are provided so the site is protected against hackers. WordPress adds many useful features in their latest releases so take the time to check if the theme gets updated frequently.
5) Mobile support is something that is getting more and more important although there are plugins for WordPress which will transform your site into a mobile version when accessing with a smartphone. It is always better if there is a dedicated mobile version of your homepage but this should not be a reason why you decide not to buy the theme.
6) The most expensive theme is not always the best. This simply means that higher cost does not relate directly to more features. These expensive templates usually cover a unique niche, or are created by well known developers.
7) Bundle or single themes? This is a very complex question and there is literally no answer. If you find one offer that provides everything you need and you simply love the design then go for it! The advantages of bundles are obvious. You have different themes to choose from and can change the design over time. It depends on what you want your site to be and what you expect your site to do.
As you can see, there are many things you should keep in mind when buying your first WordPress theme.